Thursday, March 1, 2012

Front Porch Details & Inspiration - Week 17, Wednesday

The detail decisions are starting to pile on and next on the list is making a plan for the look of the front porch. This is extremely important to the overall feel of the house and as my dad said "will make or break it". No pressure right?

Front columns:
After a lot of research and TONS of inspiration photos, bookmarks, sketches. I think we have a plan for the look of the front columns. We would like them to look traditional craftsman and be made solely of wood or wood tops with cement bases. They will have to be sizable to support the visual weight of the front of the house overhang. Here is one of the inspiration photos I sent to Oliver. We like the tapered top columns and the insets on the bases. Although, the bases are a little short, they have the right idea.
I also sent Oliver a sketch that I did in Illustrator over a photo of the house of what the columns could look like. Please ignore the house color and the railing spacing. Here it is:
Oliver is going to have a test column built for Riley and I to approve next week before he builds the others. I'm excited to see how they will look!

Porch ceiling:
I saw a really amazing front porch through my inspiration hunting with a stained wood ceiling. (See below)
I thought this could be really beautiful on our front porch. I sent the idea over to Oliver and he liked the idea as well. Only issue was the price. Turns out to do a stained wood tongue & groove ceiling is about $1500 more than to do a paint-grade one. It's a bit of a bummer, but we decided there are other areas that $1500 could be better put towards so we are going with a painted ceiling. It will look nice I'm sure. It also opens up a lot of possibilities for doing an accent color there. I've seen some with a light sky blue that look pretty fantastic....

No comments:

Post a Comment