Monday, September 26, 2011

I take it back...

So last Friday we received the initial budget. I have to say I take it back. I'm not so excited about the budget word anymore. Currently we are quite far over budget and we haven't even started yet! It was a little shocking at first. I don't blame our contractor, I blame our high expectations. I really appreciate how upfront Oliver was about the costs and he had good suggestions on where we can start pairing down our wish list. It's just really hard to start cutting out elements that we wanted to incorporate into our home before we even begin. Some things will be easy, like switching back to standard sized doors instead of custom extra talls. Others will be hard, like deciding how much to lower the floor in the basement and where to reduce cabinetry. Those two areas turned out to be the biggest ticket items. Storage is really important to me and it's really important that the lower level is comfortable for Riley.

Tonight we are meeting with Oliver at the house to take a look again and see where we can eliminate some costs. On the up side, at least we know the ceiling price now and Oliver assured us that there is no way we will go over that number.

Back to calling it the B word...I'll report back on how our meeting goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment